Sign Up Today
- Those who value our site will be able to sign up for an email newsletter that will keep them abreast of our selections, Op-Eds, and other materials by email.Sign up Now
- Backbone Blog
- view all recent blog posts »
Citizens and Physicians Alike Benefit from Colorado's Primary Care Office
- [This article first appeared on the Denver edition of Examiner.com] The story of the public-private partnership that fuels the work of Colorado’s Primary ...read more
Dr. Mark E. Wallace - Weld County
- Dr. Mark E. Wallace, 54, a practicing family physician who sees patients every week, is executive director of the Weld County Department ...read more
Society of Physician Entrepreneurs helps doctors better serve patients globally
- [This article first appeared on the Denver edition of Examiner.com] Getting new medicines, medical devices, treatments and other patient-oriented innovations to market sooner ...read more
“ on Dec 31, 1969
Bernard Guiot, MD
Dr. Bernard (Ben) Guiot, chairman of the Medical BackBone Board of Advisors, is an accomplished neurosurgeon who has practiced, taught and conducted research in both the United States and Canada.
Inspired by the many dedicated health professionals with whom he has collaborated throughout his career, Dr. Guiot envisions Medical BackBone as a nationwide initiative to shine a spotlight on the institutions and people who comprise our nation’s vital health infrastructure.
“Too many of today’s headlines focus on the negative, including the cost of care, the myriad of regulations, and the frustrations of patients and physicians alike,” Dr. Guiot says. “Yet, despite the very real and growing obstacles, I continue to marvel at the dedication, hard work and downright miracles performed daily by an army of largely unsung heroes.”
Dr. Guiot, along with a growing team of Medical BackBone health professionals and journalists, aims to highlight and honor what is best in American health care – which continues to field the world’s most-efficient, most-innovative, most-dedicated force ever for modern medical diagnosis, treatment and prevention.
Initially, as Dr. Guiot explains, much of the focus of Medical BackBone will be on his adopted state of Colorado, where he has lived and practiced since 2008. In time, however, Dr. Guiot anticipates that the Medical BackBone initiative will be infectious – spreading nationwide to bring much needed balance to the negativism that often prevails.
Using veteran journalists to aid in the Medical BackBone campaign, Dr. Guiot is searching throughout Colorado to profile the many physicians, dentists, nurses, psychologists, paramedics, pharmacists, teachers, lab workers, researchers and others who serve as the load-bearing beams of our state’s health system.
In addition to its principal website, Medical BackBone hosts a regular audio program available from the Apple iTunes store.
More About Ben Guiot
Dr. Guiot is affiliated with Littleton Adventist Hospital and South Denver Neurosurgery. His practice provides state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment programs for a wide range of brain and spinal disorders.
Dr. Guiot is board certified by the American Board of Neurological Surgeons and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. He received his medical degree from the University of Ottawa School of Medicine, where he also completed his residency.
To further his medical training, he completed three post-graduates fellowships: adult neurosurgery (University of Ottawa), Reconstructive Spinal Surgery (University of Florida) and Spinal Deformity (McGill University).
Prior to his arrival in Denver in 2008, Dr. Guiot served as the director of spine surgery in the Department of Neurosurgery at the University of South Florida.
In addition to his clinical practice, Dr. Guiot is an active and accomplished researcher, having published numerous articles in peer-reviewed medical journals – including Neurosurgery, The Journal of Clinical Anesthesiology, Spine and the Journal of Neurosurgery – and authoring 13 book chapters. He has served as course director and faculty for more than 40 physician medical courses.
South Denver Neurosurgery is a neurosurgical center that provides state-of-the-art diagnostic and treatment programs for a wide range of brain and spinal disorders. It’s philosophy of care centers on its patients and their involvement in helping to chart the course of their care.
Dr. Guiot and his colleagues work with each referring physician to determine the best course of treatment for patients and to keep the physicians apprised of their patients’ progress. Even after patients are referred back to their primary care physicians for continued management, South Denver Neurosurgery always remains available to provide post-treatment support and to serve as an expert resource.
Dr. Guiot specializes in:
- Minimally invasive spine surgery
- Spinal deformity correction
- Reconstruction of complex spinal disorders
Contact information for South Denver Neurosurgery:
- South Denver Neurosurgery Phone: 303.734.8650 Fax: 303.734.8653 Littleton Adventist Hospital Campus Arapahoe Medical Plaza III 7780 S. Broadway, Suite 350 Littleton, CO 80122 Office hours are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Porter Adventist Hospital Campus 950 E. Harvard Ave., Suite 570 Harvard Park Medical Plaza Denver, CO 80210 Office hours are Mondays, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Castle Rock Adventist Health Campus 1189 S. Perry Street, Suite 230 Castle Rock, CO 80104